Saturday

Swift Creek Reservoir Dog! Stray was living in red clay hole it had dug in an embankment.

Sixty pounds of love with a touch of sadness in her eyes..... that's our Maggie.

While fishing from our canoe we were surprised to find we had a visitor swimming alongside. It was a great big dog effortlessly treading water a few feet away. I assumed she belonged to someone nearby until over the next few months I observed her scavenging the trashcans and begging visiting fishermen for handouts. She had no collar and a badly infected ear. I discovered she had a "home" in a large dugout next to the parking area so I tried to befriend her as did others. A man tried to coax her into his car but couldn't succeed for she kept backing up while barking incessantly at him. For the next week I brought her food morning and night but still couldn't gain her trust. Finally I asked my husband to help me catch her. To my surprise he simply scooped her up in his arms and placed her in the car! And she didn't even mind! Of course I contacted the Chesterfield Humane Society but she hadn't been reported missing. She's ours now ;0) and quite a character with an exceptionally gentle nature. Her favorite treat is a huge raw carrot. She is loved and has been with us for over ten years now. She has a forever home indoors with a soft cushy doggy bed instead of dirt. She's such a happy girl!

Have you ever considered adopting a pound dog? Spend just 30 minutes at your local animal shelter and you might discover that special sad-eyed dog to take home. A loving relationship with a dog can bring such joy..... and get you a little closer to achieving your personal peace ;0)
Carolyn Hietala http://carolynhietalapaintings.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

StayAtHomeKat said...

I have just discovered this aspect of your blogging and I am so happy for your lovely dog! My Taylor is a rescued dog and I cannot have been more blessed than I was to have found her and taken her home with me!

Living well involves simplicity and appreciation of the everyday moments of treasure all about us.

Your postings relate this well!

Carolyn Hietala said...

Thanks Kat...
Maggie is snoring beside me as I answer ;0) Her ear problems would have destined her for euthanasia if she had ended up at the local pound. Even though she has been a very expensive FREE dog (continuous vet bills ref. her ears) I don't regret having her smiling face in our home. She deserves to have a family ;0)

JEANNE ILLENYE said...

Awwww...I love happy endings! Amazing that your hubby could scoop her up like that, but she must've known that she was meant to be rescued by you! :o) Joy forever after....

 
Add to Technorati Favorites